Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Parker Family and Annual Parker Reunion

Welcome to the Parker Family BLOG. I am Jim Parker, known to most of you as Jimmy. I am the grandson that Minnie and Doc raised. I just attended the family reunion in Round Rock last weekend and had a wonderful time. But I must say that there were so many relatives there that I did not know. I am ashamed to admit that there were only a handful that I knew by recognition. That is one of the reasons that I wanted to start this BLOG. Please add your comments, family stories, family dedications and stories you would like to share of those that have left us, as well as suggestions, and so on and we'll start a new trend of communication between now and the next reunion in September 09. I hope you enjoy it.

I have communicated the idea of this BLOG with Laurie Bloomquist, Martin and Fran Parker, and Mary Alice Payne; all agree this would be a fun way to get the family more in touch throughout the year. Laurie has stood up a Parker Family Reunion Web-Site (It's just in the beginning stages; but will grow quickly). You will be able to access this BLOG from the web site as well. freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~parkerreunion

The BLOG is simple to use. To add to the BLOG just press on the comment area under this posting and you will see all comments made in the last month and have the opportunity to post your own comment and share whatever you would like to share with the family. That can be anything you like. From sharing stories of the past, upcoming events you want the family to be aware of, or just saying howdy! The first time you leave a comment, you will need to establish an account for the BLOG. You will see under the comment window where you will need to open the account with your e-mail address and a password of your choice (remember to write the password down for the next time you sign in to the site and want to leave comments) This is all free and costs no one anything but the time it takes to communicate with the family. Please take a minute to fill out your profile once you start your account. It only takes a minute. Please put as much info as you are comfortable with. For example, I say that I am the grandson of Minnie and Doc Parker. In your profile, you have the ability to post a picture as well. Don't look at mine to long though, your screen may just crack!

If anyone has a problem using the BLOG or ideas for the BLOG, let me know.

Jim - updated BLOG entry on 21 Sep 08

12 comments:

Jim Parker said...

My home e-mail address is rckymtnjim@comcast.net and my personal website is http://www.parkers-at-milehigh.net The website is out of date, but I am working on it. OK, ready get set - let's blog!!!!

If anyone has a problem adding comments to the blog, etc.., please e-mail me and I will see what I can do to fix it.

Laurie Lou said...

What a great idea!
Yea, Jimmy!

Jim Parker said...

We are off and running! Please open your BLOG accounts and leave your thoughts to this concept of communication. Also, let us all kow your idea for particular BLOG topics! Let's BLOG.

Jim

Chad said...

This is a great way to keep in touch, maybe we could upload some old pictures? I was only able to stay at the reunion for about 20 minutes. I remember back when it was at the foreign legion hall. All the kids would either play on the old fire truck or on the WWII cannon in the front. I guess we outgrew the foreign legion hall. When I was a kid, it seemed so big.

Jim Parker said...

Hi Chad, I was already gone and in the Navy when it moved to the American Legion. What I remember as a kid was the reunions at the "old" Old Settlers Park at 620 and I35. The big Tabernacle as it was called and all the food you could imagine and all the open space kids could enjoy. We would take our coins and put them on the railroad tracks in hope of a train coming along and sometimes they did. The old ball park was just on the other side of the tracks from park and we would go over there to see what mischief we could get into as well. And watching the men play dominoes was always fun too. That was one thing that I took away from those days was dominoes. I still love to play.

Laurie Lou said...

You guys are bringing back old memories. I remember the reunions at the "old" Old Settlers Park. They were so much fun. We had lots of room to run & play. I remember Marvin Parker would sometimes bring horses for the kids to ride. I never would ride one.

Jim Parker said...

Hey Laurie - Old memories; how about the monthly Saturday nights at the Merrilltown School House. I remember Terry would lead us down to the Merrilltown Cemetery after dark and we would all sit around and tell stories to see who would run back scared first. I was usually too scared to run, so it wasn't me. I think Terry really enjoyed this!!!

Jim Parker said...

Laurie,
I think Chad's idea of uploading old pictures is a great idea. Is this something that may be planned for the web-site you are setting up? - I personally like my old pictures a lot better than the current day ones :-)
Chad - I am sorry buddy, and call me out of touch, but what part of the Parker family do you hail from? I am sure I will be asking this a lot from different folks. I just don't get out much :-) Actually, I have been "out of state" since 1979.
Jim

Laurie Lou said...

Yes, I plan on uploading old pictures to the website. Vera has done such a remarkable job over the years gathering our family information. She let me scan all her pictures a few months ago, so I have a lot of old ones already. I need more. Do you have any old pictures of Uncle Doc & Aunt Minnie?

Martin and Fran said...

Howdy from Martin & Fran!

Jim Parker said...

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Hope you enjoy the day with family and friends! Go Cowboys!
Jim

Margarett Parker said...

Hello everyone, Margarett here, we had a fantastic Christmas this year... we had our first in 25 years Christmas with Daddy... Harold Wilcox. Yes, after 25 years we are back together and older and wiser. The three kids Dean, Coy and Beverly and all the grandchildren (7) met at Beverly and Ken's house for Christmas afternoon.

It was awesome to have all of us together and loving every moment.